Best Books That I’ve Personally Read, Enjoyed, and Applied to My Life and Trading:
In my list of best books for traders, you might be surprised to see that many of them are not specifically related to trading. Instead, they focus on habits, perseverance, training, accountability, growth mindset, and peak performance – among many other critical topics.
But don’t get it twisted – just because some of these books don’t outwardly mention trading or investing within the text doesn’t mean they’re any less valuable. I wouldn’t be anywhere near the trader I am today without reading these so-called “non-trading” books.
So as you scan through the list below, keep in mind that durable trading success is about more than just technical analysis, for example. In my opinion, your ultimate success is dependent on acquiring the proper mindset, habits, processes, and daily routines.
For ease of understanding, I’ve broken down my list of best books into two main categories – the first are those specifically related to trading/investing and the second are those not specifically related to trading/investing (but still very much applicable).
I also tried to rank them from my most favorite to least favorite, but this became an extremely difficult (if not impossible) task to accomplish. So consider them loosely ranked with a handful of my most favorite books near the top of each respective list.
This is by no means a comprehensive list of great trading/investing books, but I’ve personally read every single one listed below.
Best Books For Traders (Specifically Related to Trading/Investing):
- One Good Trade by Mike Bellafiore
- The Disciplined Trader by Mark Douglas
- Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas
- The Playbook by Mike Bellafiore
- Market Wizards by Jack D. Schwager
- Fooled By Randomness by Nassim Taleb
- The Hour Between Dog and Wolf by John Coates
- Principles by Ray Dalio
- The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
- The Psychology of Trading by Brett Steenbarger
- Unshakeable by Tony Robbins
- The Candlestick Course by Steve Nison
Best Books For Traders (Without Specific Trading/Investing Components):
- Atomic Habits by James Clear
- Peak by Anders Ericsson and Robert Pool
- Mindset by Carol Dweck
- Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- Grit by Angela Duckworth
- The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
- Chop Wood Carry Water by Joshua Medcalf
- Can’t Hurt Me by David Goggins
- Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz
- The Attributes by Rich Diviney
- Loving What is by Byron Katie
- Limitless by Jim Kwik
- Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink
- Make Your Bed by William McRaven
- Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
- Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins
- The 5AM Club by Robin Sharma
- Essentialism by Greg McKeown
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson
- Man’s Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff by Richard Carlson
- Inner Simplicity by Elaine St. James
- The Art of War by Sun Tzu
- Grit & Grace by Tim McGraw
- David & Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell
- The 10X Rule by Grant Cardone
- The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
- Tribe by Sebastian Junger
- 21 Lessons For the 21st Century by Yuval Noah Harari
Check Out My “Best Book Quotes” Series Featuring Many of the Titles Listed Above
Please share your thoughts, feelings, and experiences with any of these books (or your own favorites) in the comments below.
Written by Matt Thomas (@MattThomasTP)