What is Finviz? Finviz = Financial Visualizations:
Finviz Elite is a dynamic platform that allows traders not only to scan for appealing chart patterns, but also secure real-time quotes, run backtests, discover correlations, find news, track insider transactions, receive portfolio notifications via email, and more.
The main objective is to provide traders and investors with superior financial analysis. Acting as a robust stock market portal, you can receive a comprehensive view of the market without having to jump from one site to another: scanning for ideal chart setups, searching for news, and performing both fundamental & technical analysis can all be completed within the Finviz platform.
You cannot, however, buy and sell securities within Finviz, but you are given the opportunity to track your holdings in the “Portfolio” section by manually updating price per share and number of shares purchased. Finviz is not a licensed brokerage.
Dynamic Technical Analysis Software – More Than 1 Million Visitors Per Month:
There are virtually unlimited possibilities for you to perform deep technical analysis as a Finviz member. With over 15 years of historical data at your disposal, opportunities for overlays & comparison charts, 100+ technical indicators to choose from, and personalized filters, Finviz paves the way for incredible customization.
HOME: The home page provides a broad overview of the performance of major indices (DOW, NASDAQ, and S&P 500). These are displayed as candlestick charts across the top of the screen. Below that to the left, “market movers”, categorized as top gainers/losers, most volatile, unusual volume, and more can be found. Directly to the right of that, you will find an interactive map representing stocks from various groups. As you scroll down the page, you will find even more information, including stocks with major news, insider trading, and earnings releases.
NEWS: News is displayed in a highly simplified format. There are two columns – “News” and “Blogs”. By default, the articles are sorted by time, but you also have the option to sort by source (Bloomberg, The Wall Street Journal, MarketWatch, Yahoo, CNN Money, Seeking Alpha, etc.). If you’re searching for news specifically for one company, you can punch the name or ticker into the search bar at the top of the page and then scroll down below the financial data.
SCREENER: The screener is where Finviz provides the most value as a scanning software. For technical analysis, you have the opportunity to input almost any piece of criteria and receive an output including every stock that fits that mold. Market cap, average volume, sector, price, exchange, float short, return on equity, shares outstanding, average true range, beta, etc. The list goes on and on. You have complete control over your scans, and the best part is that you can save the ones you like for future use. This saves a ton of time as opposed to the old-school practice of scanning through tickers one by one to find ideal setups.
MAPS: The interactive maps are a nice touch that allow for quick consumption of large amounts of market data. For the most part, they start you out with a broad view of the market , and then allow you to zone in on specific groups, or even individuals stocks, if you deem them worthy of further review. You can generate looks by country, exchange, sector, etc. and then hover over them for detailed information on price movement.
- EFFICIENCY: The efficiency Finviz provides in scanning, technical analysis, and additional research is extraordinary. The options are highly customizable and you receive a ton of additional value like news, portfolio tracking, and backtesting all in one place. Trend lines are automatically added to all scans to highlight key price levels and the creation of custom presets can save loads of time in the long run.
- USER-FRIENDLINESS: The user-friendly interface is a bonus as well. It’s very easy to navigate around as you perform research, and also run custom scans in a flash. The availability of “drop-downs” makes it even easier to do so, allowing you to choose specific chart patterns, formations, technicals, and fundamentals very quickly. After you run a scan, you can peruse multiple charts on 1 page for comparison, and then click individual charts for “Full View” if you want to give them more attention. An ad-free layout is provided to all Elite subscribers as well.
- OTC STOCKS UNAVAILABLE: Finviz only provides quotes, scans, news, etc. for stocks on the major exchanges, so you won’t be able to look up over-the-counter (OTC) securities.
- CHART INTERACTIVITY: Some charting software allows you to hover your mouse over specific points on the chart and receive exact price information on those candles, points, or lines. Unfortunately, this isn’t provided on Finviz charts.
- QUOTE DELAYS: If you’re not a Finviz Elite subscriber, all quotes will be delayed 15-20 minutes. This doesn’t matter much if you’re only using Finviz after market hours, but if you need it for intraday analysis, this can be a problem. It forces you to register or become a paying subscriber for real-time data.
**February 2017 Update**: |I’ve Discovered a Stock Trading Software More Robust Than Finviz – StocksToTrade.com|
Finviz Stock Analyzer Performance Review – Making Informed Investment Decisions:
There are some benefits offered by Finviz even as just a “Free” or “Registered” member, but nothing can match the features of going Elite. You’ll receive maximum customization and real-time data:
Is Finviz the Best Technical Analysis Software?
There are many options out there for technical analysis software, but Finviz presents itself as a top prospect thanks to the efficiency it provides for the serious trader or investor. Not only are the scans top-notch, but there’s so much more offered within the platform as well: maps, top gainers/losers, portfolio tracking, backtests, news, etc. There’s no need to jump from one site to another anymore – Finviz was designed for your convenience.
Save hours on research and the tedious act of manual scanning. Join thousands of retail investors, full-time traders, and even large institutions currently using Finviz to their advantage.
Please leave any questions or comments regarding Finviz or any other charting software below.
Written by Matt Thomas (@MattThomasTP)
- Say Goodbye to Trading Commissions and Hello to the Future of Trading
- What is a Day Trading System? Establish Structure in Your Approach
- What is the Cheapest Way to Trade Stocks? Avoid Learning the Hard Way
- Top 5 Trading Paradoxes – Learn Them to Become a Better Trader
- What is Trading Expectancy? The Importance of Having a Statistical Edge